We are poised to join these campaigns for 2018:
- Fair Tax Illinois
The Illinois Fair Tax is a proposed amendment to the Illinois state constitution that would change the state income tax system from a flat tax to a graduated income tax. This campaign began in 2012 -- though defeated each election year, it has gained strength and we believe it will pass this year. We join the Responsible Budget Coalition of Illinois. Rally in Springfield February 14, before Governor Rauner's budget address, then add your energy, voice and witness March 15 to May 10 when legislators will be lining up in support of the working classes of Illinois -- or not.
- The Love Resists Campaign of the UUA
The Love Resists campaign gathers the energy of Unitarian Universalists to support the efforts of marginalized people to raise power for equality: Dreamers, people of color caught in the criminal justice web, people facing discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation, people facing religious discrimination.
- Environmental Justice campaign of the Illinois Climate Table
We join forces with the Illinois Climate Table to monitor the implementation of the Future Energy Jobs Act of Illinois, passed at the end of 2016. We will support legislation designed to enact recommendations of the FEJA.
- The Poor People's Campaign
Challenging a cultural dynamic that supports systemic racism, poverty, and environmental injustice, working for better jobs, better homes, better education, a better day for people disenfranchised by our American world of today. PPC has identified these targets for action this spring:
= Voter Suppression, especially as we conduct all-important mid-term elections this year, includes banning requirement of difficult-to-acquire IDs, the disenfranchisement of people with records
= Ecological Destruction, leading to water contamination, toxic neighborhoods near landfill, lead poisoning and asthma in poor communities
= Economic practices that undergird poverty, including poor wages, mass incarceration which disenfranchises a population, and inequality of taxation -- PPC will continue the Fight for 15 Movement for fair wages and the Fair Tax Campaign
=Militarism, especially the militarism of police actions and the proliferation of poorly-regulated gun ownership.
A Calendar for ACTION 2018
Here are 2018 opportunities to promote our 2018 campaign agenda:
- March 23-24: UU congregations of northern Illinois convene with UU Prison Ministry of Illinois at Countryside Church (Palatine), visioning for action in the Love Resists/transformative justice campaign REGISTER HERE
- April 14 - UU congregations in central Illinois convene at Abraham Lincoln UU Church in Springfield for a day of collaboration, training, planning issue campaigns, and raising power together REGISTER HERE
- April 14-17: Tax Day Actions for FAIR TAX at local post offices
- April 17: Rally in Springfield with Community Renewal Society Springfield Day of Action for Transformative Justice
- April 21 - UU Just Economic Community "Insist on Justice! Resist Inequality!" A national UU gathering, with speakers Chuck Collins, Dr. Fannie Rushing of Chicago SNCC History Project, Alan Miller of Uptown People's Project, Fred Tsao of Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights. The Unitarian Church of Evanston, IL REGISTER HERE
- April 26: Rally in Springfield with Faith in Place for renewable energy reform
- May 13 - June 21: Poor People's Campaign 40 Days of Action
Follow us on Facebook
UUANI is supported by contributions from Unitarian Universalist individuals and congregations in Illinois, and by grants from the Fund for Unitarian Universalist Social Responsibility, the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee, the Chicago Area Unitarian Universalist Council, and the Illinois Environmental Council.
We are grateful for each of these forms of support!